Something I noticed as a PhotoPass Photographer at Walt Disney World, was that many guests who visited Disney characters would walk up, get an autograph book signed, take a photo, and walk away. That was it! I worked with characters nearly every day, and this was the norm.
Does this sound like what you, your family, friends, squad do? If you answered yes, then honey, you are doing it all wrong!
Because there are so many guests that want to meet the many characters at the Disney Parks, time with them is pretty short. The average time a guest spends with a character is less than one minute. But that doesn’t mean it can’t be memorable and fun! Characters are always ready to play with the guests and may need a simple prodding to do so.
Character Meeting Advice
Before I give a list of ideas on how you can interact with specific characters, let’s go through some common etiquette tips you should follow when going to Meet-and-Greets with the Disney Parks characters:
Be prepared: Make sure you have your camera or phone out, your autograph book out (if you’re into that), and your bag ready to be set down.
Let them do their job: Character Attendants or Entertainment Hosts know each characters needs, and work with them individually to make sure they are prepared to meet you! They also are there to make sure that guests follow simple rules of etiquette.
Be kind to characters: I’m not kidding. Talk to all of them! Even to the fur characters, they are more expressive than you’d expect. I know it can feel intimidating, but they are wanting to be your friend!
Don’t cross the line: No inappropriate touching, grabbing or language.
Character Interaction Tips
Each Disney character comes from a different story and therefore has a unique personality. Don't think that just because they're all Disney character, that they're all the same. Below are some tips and ideas to help make your future interactions with them as magical as possible!
Classic Disney Characters:
- Just meet Mickey Mouse. It will be magical.
- Ask Minnie why her and Mickey aren’t married yet.
- Ask Donald why he isn’t as famous as Mickey.
- Propose to Daisy. She’ll probably love it, since Donald isn't going to be asking anytime soon.
- Ask Goofy if he’s ever taken Pluto for a walk.
- Tell Pluto he should get a never-ending supply of dog bones.
- Ask Chip and Dale who is better.
Princesses & Princes:
- Offer to trade one of your own shoes for Cinderella’s glass slipper.
- Ask Belle for a book recommendation.
- Ask “may I have this dance?” to the Beast at the Be Our Guest Restaurant.
- Ask Ariel if you can become a mermaid.
- Give Snow White an apple.
- Complement any of the Princesses on their dresses.
- Ask Anna or Elsa if you can have a warm hug.
- Ask Aurora what her favorite dress color is.
- Ask Flynn is you can see what is in his satchel. Or even better, ask him what’s in his “purse.”
- Ask them if you can take a ride on the magic carpet with Aladdin and Jasmine.
- Bow to the Evil Queen.
- Tell Cruella de Vil fur is out of fashion.
- Ask Lady Tremaine which daughter is the prettiest.
- Offer your son, your brother, your friend, etc. to marry one of Cinderella’s step sisters.
- Call Captain Hook a codfish.
- Ask Gaston if he can flex his ears. Odds are he can’t, so he’ll flex something else for you ;)
- Ask Dug about the Cone of Shame.
- Show Russell your Wilderness Explorer call.
- Ask Green Army Men to pose with a salute.
- Ask Buzz to go into Latin mode.
- Ask Woody if Andy’s name is on the bottom of his boot.
- Talk to any of the automobiles from Cars. They can be chatty!
- Ask any of the Incredibles to pose you like a superhero.
- Ask Baymax for a hug, you won't regret it.
Ticker Bell & Friends:
- Ask Tink about her latest invention! She is a tinker after all.
- Ask Fawn what her favorite animal is and tell her yours.
- Ask Rosetta about what flower you should put in your hair.
- Ask Iridessa if she prefers sun rises or sunsets.
- Ask Silvermist what her favorite water activity is.
Star Wars Characters:
- Tell Chewie you are ready to fly on the Millennium Falcon.
- Ask BB8 what his favorite color is, I bet you can guess it!
- Tell Darth Vadar you know whose father he is.
- Assure Kylo Ren that you are not a part of the resistance.
- Ask Boba Fett whose bounty he is hunting that day.
- Ask Rey if she loves Ben Solo... just kidding! Ask her what it was like to train with Luke Skywalker.
- Ask Spider-Man if he has stolen Capt.'s shield recently.
- Ask Thor who is the best looking Avenger.
- Ask Loki what he thinks of Bruce Banner.
- Ask T'Challa what Shuri is working on in her lab.
- Ask the Dora Milaje what their workout regimen is.. and let me know! #BodyGoals
- Ask Star-Lord what his favorite song is on his mixtape.
- Just meet Peter Pan. He’ll do all the thinking for you.
- Be sure to say “How do you do?” to Alice and introduce yourself.
- Ask Baloo and King Louis what the bare necessities.
- Ask Pinocchio who his conscience is.
- Ask Meeko to steal you some food and see what he does.
- Ask Olaf for a warm hug.
- Ask to bounce with Tigger or share some honey with Pooh.
Have you ever tried one of these? Or maybe you have some more tips on how to meet characters? Let us know your thoughts or experiences in the comments!
Be sure to book your next Disney vacation to meet your favorite characters with Get Away Today for the best deals!